Monday 27 June 2016

Just woke up to a dream that began in a place that

Just woke up to a dream that began in a place that mixed the festival with house rooms but mainly benders and wooden structures, primitive houses and dwellings. These looked Iron Age or, in some cases more sophisticated. Collectively they formed a castle or a village hill fort as might have been. We only have the footprints left of what these places were and the imprints of the postwork that may have been the foundations of top structures. Initially I saw the hill fort and how it ran. People were going about their lives. It had a primitive traveller site like feel though we were clearly in Iron Age times.
I was with Dean and Dook. This was where I now lived and I felt very proud of my situation. Dean loved it too and went off exploring. The hive of activity had many nuclei where small family sized groups hung out. After walking across a timber walkway I entered a covered hall, timber framed and thatched with rushes and reeds. In one corner a small corner room had a pike of dogs. Realising Dook had gone off to play I looked for his wareabouts. Dog after dog left out. Each one appeared to be him at first yet once out in the open clearly weren't him. Growing fearful I stepped into a modern day room of hippy students where I met Dean who told me this was a great place to be. We discussed furniture making. My trade prior to my breakdown. The conversation drifted onto social housing. One lad cast in an insult. Suggesting that social housing was for the broken and weak in society. This correlates to a discussion I have had on a few occasions with a guy I used to work with. Growing up in a rural area speckled with small towns and villages and never having seen much of the rest of the country he never understood the concept nor need for social housing. In his mind it has something to do with benefits. Several times I have tried to explain the history and need for social housing. That it offers an alternative to the post thatcher property ownership system that has seen nearly all council owned houses sold off leaving mainly private rented sector and privately owned housing. This discussion had often been frustrating as my friend has never seen social housing in the way it existed in Leeds where I grew up. Where it still does, to an extent. His politics are a rational reaction to the world he has seen. The frustration returned. I have always wanted to show him the council housing in areas such as Askern, Connisburgh and other ex mining villages around Doncaster. Also to show him the Lingfield and Cramner Bank estates where I grew up. How tidy these places are. That they are not populated by unemployed lazybones types that his mind is restricted to.
Much talk has gone down during the referendum build up. I have been fortunate not to live in an area where fears of immigration and large unemployment have led, unchallenged by labour to right wing racist outlooks. Yet I have seen the dark side of Remain who call the Leave campaigners racist stupid morons. This angered me as they are mostly just poor and scared. I woke up feeling angry and concerned at the ignorance of many of the people who live in this beautiful bubble where I live. These same people who stand up calling out racists have an equally strong anti semitism and an unawareness of their own deep instilled racism toward gypsies. This irony I struggle with. How they can be openly racist to Jews and gypsies yet claim to be against racism. You can not pick and choose.


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment