Monday 7 February 2011

Facebook

It isn'that I care about being liked just that if I am to be hated that it should be for the right reasons. To be misunderstood is a terrible fate. The tyrrany of words, the dictatership of language.
When the telephone came out there were similar debates, now we know and accept its limitations. With social networking online the boundaries are still to be hammered out, it is up to us to stretch the envelope. I doubt it is correct to compare it to real human interaction. Perhaps its most interesting aspect is the abillity to swiftly amass like minded people to inaugerate political change, gather names for art events, festivals, gigs, exhibitions, buisness endeavours. If you do anything too much you have a problem.
When I first went on Facebook I was scared, you could check out who strangers freinds were etc. Thank fuck they've stopped that.
The more 'freinds' you have the less inclined you are to post anything contentious, you account for the lowest common denominater. These are the opinions that sepeate you from others, your identity. The more freinds you have, the less you become.
The terror for careerists, fraudsters etc. is how we willingly give up our privacy.
There are friends I have known throughout my life, friends I feel more distant from as we all have to follow the pack. Facebook can distance you.The pack like playground bullies love a feeding frenzy, few have the strength to say what they truly feel, the larger the crowd the more mundane the consensus.
The opportunities for criminals are vast. I'm off to Spain for 2 weeks, rob me while I'm away.

1 comment: