Thursday 21 April 2011

Strangeness - John Makepeace

Working hard on a utillity area, it is no art work but I need to earn some cash. That fitted furniture, sheet material work is such a different way of thinking to the free standing furniture I have spent most of my life doing, elimentary tricks are unknown to me each having to be worked out. The interaction with other tradesmen I recall from the few kitchens I have done is alien, out of ones control. The operating theatre of the workshop where all is to hand is replaced by a claustrophobia, a list of tools and materials you envisage needing, the strangeness of being in the intimacy of strangers.
John Makepeace commented on how all the wood trades money is going int o fitted stuff that will be ripped out again before too long. Free standing work will last longer, somewhere, finding periods of favour and disfavour as fickle fashion conscious folk alter thier interiors. It is a very good point. I recall ripping out some huge office building as a student because Oak was out and American Cherry was in. I imagine all our work has been skipped. I don't know John personally yet have seldom heard him talk anything other than good sense. His prolific lineage of works has few to compare. There have been many I don't like, the occassional slipinto the Walt Disney look yet overall his gift to the world of fine craft furniture is beyond anyone elses. Fred Baier has offered a parrallel .
Broken off, I'll come back to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment