Wednesday 29 August 2012

A C Graylings comments on Drugs

I like to read what Richard Dawkins has to say. I used to enjoy reading what Christopher Hitchins had to say, even if I disagreed it was always a joy to follow the thread of his reasoning. Through them I found neurologist Sam Harris whose ideas have painted my week. And Bruce Hood who's Self Illusion is taking some unpicking.
And from these I got to A C Grayling who strongly advocates legalising all drugs yet 'dispises' people dependent on heroin and cocaine. My feelings are the reverse. I feel compassion and pity for anyone in such a terrible predicament. To despise someone suffering seems terrible. Does he despise other I'll people?  does he see addicts as the architects of their own unhappiness? And how will legalising heroin help anyone?
What always strikes me in this debate is how legalisation overtakes all other arguments. Junkies couldn't care whether it is illegal or not. They do it all the same. The legalisation debate is for politicians and has no interest for heroin addicts. It is clear this is a health issue and not a criminal one, or ought not to be. In effect all drugs are legal. Police only make token assaults on illegal drugs.
It was the word despise that got me writing. Is Graylings sentiment common in society? Do people see in junkies a terror tale of warning about how low a man can fall, or do they see broken souls struggling through as best they can.
I no longer drink ot take any drug. Some people can get away with it but I am not one of them. Though I choose not to I still feel compassion for anyone finding life so hard they take the slow suicide of heroin in preference to unadulterated reality. Perhaps Grayling has led a life of safety and comfort and from his secure footing can only imagine heroin use as some sort of self indulgence or expanded party.

No comments:

Post a Comment