Tuesday 15 January 2013

Beauty, God and Science

What is beauty all about? Some suggest that beauty points to our existence being beyond nature. I think it more likely it is when our minds find the swiftest route to the loot. Mathematicians often speak of the sheer beauty in formulas that clarify some issue they have been working on. I know from my own experience when working to fond the right direction with both aesthetic design and engineering process that when I see the best option it stands out in transcendent beauty. I may not know why it is the best option, just that it is the way to go. No amount of rationalisation can get you to the bigger points. Like choosing a mate. Reason is not enough. Rather trust your sense of beauty. This is no radical point.  Who will argue other than to being attracted to beauty. Reason is often seen as our highest trait. It certainly is what humanises us. Tests show that while claiming not to be racist, many white people have sub conscious negative reactions to black people, even the most liberal minded. It is through reason that we can over ride our base instincts. Our animal self can be risen above through reason. But instinct and our beauty instinct can tell us what to do before reason kicks in. In dangerous situations or life changing decisions it plays a part. As to whether you prefer the scientific method or whether you prefer god, this is primarily an aesthetic decision. I was once involved in a heated debate about Darwin. I recall a friend saying she didn't like Darwin because, 'it takes away the magic.' I realised then what she was saying. To me the opposite is true. Evolution is among the most beautiful ideas I have ever come across. It's elegance never fails to stir me. The scientific method of discovery and wonder, unfolding, ever changing. That is how I see it. God, on the other hand, to me is a dead end idea. Completed, unopen to improvement, boring, ugly, stupid, naive, lazy. Yet my friend finds it the other way. To her spirits, souls, consciousness being in everything, all the stuff I find dull she finds beautiful. The choice is clearly an aesthetic one.

No comments:

Post a Comment