Tuesday 11 June 2013

Clarification on my idea of self

In a full 180degree shift I am re embracing the 'self'. For this reason. The narrative that constitutes self; my favourite team, preferred colour, subjects of attraction etc may be mutable. I may be no more than a bundle of impulses and urges. But for consciousness to exist we require subjectivity. How do the impulses apply to my sense of who I am? It may be an illusion but it is hard to see how we can be conscious without subjective experience. Reasoning is, at least partially, dependent on feelings. Cold logic could never address the infinity of variables. We rely on subjective feelings, our personal emotional responses to objects or situations to decide how to act. Breaking down a craft path to make an object requires our intuitive sense of rightness. We know which choices are wrong. We feel this. Our body constricts. Our body feels coldness or shudders. I have written of how emotions take place all over the body. When my dog smelt another dogs piss his pupils dilated, he slivered, adrenalin flooded his limbs sparking action. When we meet a potential sexual partner our body responds demonstrating that the body and mind are not two distinct systems but different aspects of one. These feelings that decide or inform our reason are personal. They depend on a self. A narrative structure of who we are. I say narrative but mostly it is reactive and none language based. Some people I can't stand, I distrust them, they raise my hackles. Others make me feel safe or excited. These people would be different for you. It becomes hard to see how we could manage consciousness without this.
Previously I have called the idea of a homunculus within our skulls the illusion of self. I stick with this. Much thought was supported on Descartes myth, the idea of the ghost in the machine. And whilst it can be pointed out that if each seperate aspect of self were stripped away it would leave nothing, this would also be true for leeds rugby league team. If you took out the players one by one there would be no team. The error is a category error. The self exists as the multiple and often contradictory threads and stories of our make up.

No comments:

Post a Comment