Wednesday 8 July 2015

Wolverhampton Technician

Wolverhampton Technician
I seldom think of what was a great year for me in many ways. I'd graduated from Buckinghamshire College with first class honours and commendations in both design and making. Two others got firsts though their work was mundane if well made. Gareth Neal, ten years my junior was the other star of the year but got a 2:1. He went on to better things but I believe I was the shining light of our year. Not popular, lower class, less money for materials but better ideas. I loved talking to Philip hussey, course leader and a sensitive gentleman well versed in philosophy. Somehow, despite the alien environment and a constant cannabis haze I arrived at 8am first in and left last at 8am. I never got a consistent theme. My first year I clearly dominated. First project I made, a small wall cabinet with twisted parabolic doors and drawers with compound angled dovetails. I missed the crit and was deducted 10% off my mark. I still came easily top. My second year I became lost in spikes. I made a wall piece in oak antlers and ebony thorns. The strongest piece. My biggest second year piece was heavily Makepeace influenced but still technically far in advance of the others work. I had had run ins with my HACS tutor and probably should have listened more. But she wrote books on Irish vernacular furniture, I was into YBAs and the Goldsmiths art college reading list. My girlfriend of the time was studying fine art so each weekend I'd be exposed to art. I believe I made art. Work to be judged by art criteria.
My final year began with my first brick table. I got an A. From here I lost my way and slipped into decorated arts and crafts. Sail able work but quite restrained. Still, my final show was strong and despite a crap dissitation I got my first.
From a social buzz where I had status I moved to a cottage my girlfriend had bought near her family in Shropshire. I'd hoped we'd make our home there and worked locally as she spent the week at Brier.ey Hill, learning glass techniques. I spent a year renovating the cottage to her fathers drawings and she left again for a job in Frome working for Neil Wilkins, probably the best glass blowing studio in the country at the time.
In an old cottage, alone, I went finally mad. But first I enjoyed a great year. The wood technician, Jim, on the Wood, Metals and Plastics 3d design course in Wolverhampton was taken ill. Hugh scriven asked if I wanted to fill in for a year. This was one of the best jobs I ever had. Next year I was to become a lecturer which was horrible.
I had a workshop to myself with a panel saw, two dimension saws, a 24 inch wide base four cutter block Sedgwick planer, an overhead router plus other kit. Students would drop in and I would help them make their work. I had vast enthusiasm and salvaged several degrees. The metal technician was ex army and totally unhelpful to students, drinking three pints each lunchtime and never doing owt. The plastics technician was more skilled but equally lazy. The course leader seemed ok but ultimately let me down.
I made a full set of furniture for one lad. Laminated some fish shelves for Babbette. Wanda got on on her own making wooden automata. Another girl from Frome I had eyes for made block sculptures of little merit. I was 31, just ten years older than most of the students and there were a lot of girls but I never over stepped the mark.
Basically you could do no wrong. You saved the students work but never had to judge it or help with design other than practicalities. Lecturers loved you because you got their student marks up. The course was a shambles. Badly run. I was frowned on at times for trying too hard.
During the three month summer all I had to do was maintain machines. So I made three pieces for Cheltenham. A carved light box table with lead crystal spikes that were under lit in black walnut. A bike clip table I sold at Cheltenham. And my best piece there. I would look out of the fourth floor window watching the cars come in and out. Height changes scale. I made an inlayed top in bog oak with boxwood lines showing no parking and a disabled sign. Few got this piece though I rated it highly. Very clever.
At the end of the year show the girl students showered me with cards and presents of wine and beer. Hugs and kisses. This should have been a triumphant night for us all but Alice got jealous of the attention I got, stormed off, I had to leave and the evening was ruined.

The following year I was asked back as a part time lecturer to replace andy Jackson. Having roughed it with the technicians now on twice their wage I wasn't popular with the. The lecturers could never be found. I hadn't a clue what I was supposed to be doing. Glenn was fucking one of the students, other lecturers too busy hiding their sloth to integrate. I helped a few students but it was a joke.
I'd also got a job two and a half days a week at UCE. I packed that in after a while. Better course but I'd never had any teacher training.
Shrewsbury gave me a day a week that I at least understood. But going from no teaching to full time with no one at home, no freinds to support me I took to drink. Never had I self medicated before. If Alice had have stayed to support me, if I'd had some training it might have gone better. But I had a shit year. Ended up on antidepressants. Eventually I ran away to live in Frome and went to work for Fred Baier, where Gareth was now based. Phew.


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment