Monday 18 July 2016

Barely Literate

Barely Literate
Years ago, in my teens, an astrologer did my birth chart. At the time I'd rejected the mystical to embrace the atheism I was raised by my father with. She described me as 'spiritually retarded'. Such a dismissal of my grasp of the transcendent suited me and I have warn this tag with pride. Still do. My life has changed. I still hold .little respect for the astrologers I've so far met though now recognise my contrary nature and rebellion against a type of new age outlook was idiotic. Throwing the baby out with the bath water. Last night I woke, read an article from the guardian and typed a Facebook post. Stream of consciousness, unedited, no idea where it was heading when I began. But it was quite funny. Someone shared. Next comment : 'Barely literate'. For a moment I felt hurt. I hope to write well. I'm unschooled. No little of grammar nor technicality. But I believe my ideas have value. The public schooled, properly educated types could pull me apart. A comment thread continued. First my punctuation was at fault. Soon it became clear political differences were at the critics core of irk. Technique was attacked though substance offended. I'm no fan of the stream of consciousness novel. Jack Kerouac never caught me. But as a Facebook post? I'm proud to be barely literate. Just as I was proud to be called spiritually retarded. Such critics reveal themselves. Some people I truly hope do not like me.


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment