Monday 16 January 2012

Elliotts Records RIP

Back in 1987, me and Andy used to have a stall on Leeds flea market, for further reading check out 'how did I get here?' parts 2 or 3. At the time we joined a good freind from schooldays who had evolved his hobby in to a business. Elliots stall sold second hand vinyl. From here I believe he moved his stock to a shop in Halifax that ran for years before he again relocated to Huddersfield under the name Wall of Sound. Being interested in music, particularly old record shops I was pleased to read in the book 'Last Shop Standing' that Elliot was still going. The book was written by a fan of independent record shops who had travelled the country meeting those whos shops were still in business. It was with great sadness that I heard Elliot had ceased trading. To think that from the mid 80s, through thick and thin this valuable shop had survived gave me faith in life. I sincerely hope that Elliot finds a new way to get by. His achievement is a great one. Some sacrifice their love for money, others never get to do what they really want to. If you are reading, Elliot, I hope you can see this as a new beginning. I am recovering from a severe breakdown that has seen my business fall away too. On the plus side I have decided that I am going to write the books I always wanted to. If I hadn't have got ill I would still be percevering in a line of work I had long lost interest in but dare not admit. The future is bright, good luck old freind.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts and good memories Skree. As your work expressed your world, mine did also. It is hard to conceive still of what life will be like after it. I relate also to your observations of midlife. Much of what were the foundations of my past have gone or died, but life is a forward thing and experience is for learning. I am saddened that my universe isn't all about music anymore. Maybe it will be again in time, maybe it is time to discover other beauties.
    I'm glad to recall that you were a part of the building blocks and recall many good and thoughtful times as we grew up. It's good to see that we both think about things too much. Without thought, 'they' get you. And they ain't got either of us yet. I continue to admire your strength of perception. Kapow!! Elliot.

    ReplyDelete