Wednesday 12 September 2012

Vagina: Naomi Wolf

I will come back to this once I have finished the book. I began, as sadly is often the case, by reading all the feminist journalists arguing about this book. So often we read about books rather than read books, how many talk as if they have read Darwin, Freud, Marx yet have only read about their writing. Finally getting s copy to read it seems, although, as I imagine many will find the pussy riot, uprising of the vagina, visceral side that appears intentionally rude ( in the real sense of rude) a bit tough to break through, once I got in to it I am finding it good. Essentially she is taking neuroscience that is breaking ground on so many things and applies it to her brain vagina connect ideas. It isn't far from what I go on about. Not as regards female identity but the idea of mind is body. I think what she is saying is the same. We are not a self above ourselves, we are not mind and body, we are one thing. As my dogs pupils dilate, mouth slavers, tongue swells up, ears erect, adrenaline floods his body when he smells urine he likes, his thoughts are him. The self illusion again.
The human animal has found through language and a consciousness we have fallen in to an illusion where we think we are souls, minds existing somehow separately from our bodies. This idea finds support through religion and ideas of spirit. Sadly, just as our mind developes out of childhood, we also can see it disintegrate. Nothing is sadder nor more powerful in blowing myths of soul, self, god, spirits than seeing someone you know and love deconstruct through dementia.
Naomi Wolfs Beauty Myth was all the rage when I was at art college. Though Vagina is causing waves I honestly feel, once people get it it will become accepted. So far she is still talking of vagina brain connection. Hopefully, by the end she will see all is one. Thought, emotion is not peculiar to the brain but takes place all over us.
Yet, I do think it may be her strategy that is wrong, not what she is saying. As with all feminist critique it is a worthy exercise to reverse. If, as a man I brought out a book called Cock that explained the brain cock connection, if I as waxed lyrical on the male orgasm people may just think I was a dickhead, a bit of a cock.

No comments:

Post a Comment