Wednesday 13 February 2013

Work

As a vaguely artistic person I'm probably not alone in having asked myself, 'when will I get chance to make my great works?' Time goes by, you make some things. Then one day it dawns on you that you have done them without hardly noticing. There are the pretentious claims to art. The entries for exhibitions and awards. But the ones that clients commission are the meat and bones. For me my greatest works are the three houses I have done. I'm coming towards the end of the top floor furniture. Not sure whether I will be asked to do the ground floor. Certainly hope so. It has taken some three years. The first house in London began with a kitchen. Fitted cupboards. Then up to ground floor for bookcases, a fire surround. Dining table. Four poster bed. Double bed. Wardrobes. Other details mostly in maple and brown oak. The second house had two floors. Maple bedroom furniture, chests of drawers, dressing tables, bedside units, more beds. There is a profound feeling of well being walking round a house of furniture you have made. Details just as you would have them. I am proud of these houses and hope to photograph them properly one day. Each house took about three or four years. I do not know of another furniture maker who has done this and I am grateful for having been given the chance to do such in depth projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment