Thursday 3 April 2014

Dooks dark day

What can a poor boy do? I've always had a few freinds no one else would bother with. A few schizophrenics, a few homeless, a few addicts, a few violent psychos. I won't list them here nor tell theirs stories but I've always felt there but for the grace of god go I. No one sets out to be socially dysfunctional, and to be fair unless you want to hear the same mind set, the same blinkered thinking you need to be broad in your friendship selection. There is a misconception. All people are equally loveable. It takes place in the lover not the loved. This is true with dogs too.
Dook, our new dog is proving a problem though and decisions need to be made. I took him out on a couple of walks and one time a young lad took unpredictable walking roots and Dook took a snap at him. Jumping up and scaring him. We hadn't had him long so I thought forgive and see how it goes. A week later down a dark alley a twenty something came running past on his way to some rave and Dook jumped up and nipped his arm. No flesh wound but a bite. When you tie a dog up outside a shop he feels totally defenceless and vulnerable. Only a fool would approach a dog they didn't know in these circumstances. Two of these fools have felt impelled to go say hello to Dook and both times he snapped. I know people are idiots and I often wonder what it must be like having to endure strangers rubbing your face in the street. Yet if a dog is to survive these idiots must be endured.
Tonight my partner took Dook up the park and found herself in a tight alley with two large gypsy lads intent on introducing themselves. At first Dook was ok but then he lost it and attacked the intruders arm. My partner apologised offering addresses names and the inevitable execution.
What to do? I'm growing to love him but you can't have a dog who bites people. Tomorrow I go to the dog home he came from to talk. They never warned us of these tendencies. Perhaps they never knew. All they told us was he came from a broken relationship. If they had warned me of his dysfunctional habits I may still have taken him.
Ill fill you in with the progress but tonight is sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment