Friday 23 January 2015

Co op

We have known for some time that this workshop was to be knocked down to clear the land to build houses. Until this week neither me nor Mag had a fixed idea of where we would go. But in a stroke of genius, after the local woodies Christmas dinner I missed, mag has begun looking into forming a woodworkers cooperative of 8 or 10 people to rent a bigger place. The local council are already supportive. Individuals could pool resources to lower costs on bulk buying materials. We could offer teaching courses. Apprenticeships. These ideas make grants for new machinery a real possibility. We would also have the flexibility to work as normal, independent sole traders, yet if a big job turned up we could join forces to tackle sizeable schemes. The possibilities keep unfolding. Bringing employment to the area through such a facility makes grant applications far easier and more likely to find funding.
These ideas are still at a stage of testing the water regarding who may wish to be involved and to what degree. A CNC router could take us to another level.
From a personal point of view I am kean on teaching, passing on my skills. A legacy of objects indeed litter these isles but teaching some ideals and skills could provide a deeper legacy.
I must state this is not my idea nor am I the prime mover but I will give it my all.
This town is fortunate in having a number of outstanding wood craftsmen. Togethrer we could achieve great things.

No comments:

Post a Comment