Friday 11 September 2009

his mother was just some furniture

his father was a fighter, and he practiced on his son. His motherwas just some furniture who'd lost the will to run.
furniture, the topography of the living room. Class comes in to furniture in a way that no class tourist could ever understand, well, it'd take them a while. I left school without qualifications, an easter leaver, the lowest achademic bracket. The landfill of the comprehensive system. We were alright. Thrown out in to a recession that lasted a good few years. Mostof my close friends spent five years on the doleplotting punk rock bands,underground magazines and pointless pranks. We wqerent even particularly from poverty level backgrounds. I recall that electricity was something we'd afford in the winter but we ate fine. there was 25% unemployment in Leeds then so all your mates were creativly in it together. The audience werent seen as punters, or clients or buyers. Whilst the young british artists ran our parallel a much darker underbelly haunted those post punk years. Drugs innevitably took there toll , of my immediate 10 closest friends 5 are dead. So furniture, art, to us was free. we made it. or you could go in to town and see name artists for free, the prices were irrelivant as they nwere never things you'd really want to own, like music, you'd just like to listen to it every now and again. Cable reels were coffee tables, folded mattresses settees . I did a Government Topps course, a project to fiddle the dole figures and , of course, the enterprise allowance scheme that did the samne. A couple of my friends went to art college but art seemed to be crap to me then. My joinery was inspired by 'auf wiedersehn pet' , if wayne, from the heavy metal kids was doing chippying iyt was good enough for me and seemed a way out of anarcho drug personal entropy. I had no qualifications and had been banned from most lessons at school and spent my time there painting pictures. I nwent to Stonehenge festival and what I learned there has stood me in good stead when poverty hits. I still am half rapped up with the travellers. I have learned that posh kids grow up knowing what walnut, mahogany look like. a nigger is a nigger though. expectatiojn is hard to overcome. those who escape leave thier freinds behind and thier family. surmount all obstacles
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment