Thursday 3 June 2010

Sparrowhawk update

She is still at on her eggs though they must be very close to hatching now. I got this shot from a different angle without spooking her. Kids and adults walk underneath thier nest blind to them, thank fuck. I watched demoisel and damsel flies in abundance down our river bank. Saw a strange dragonfly I didn't recognise but couldnt get a decent shot. As i walked back I bumped in to a young lad who had snared a baby rabbit. The warren is far from being a problem and thinning them out is stupid. Whilst I had respect that he was taking time to look outdoors I think I may take him under my wing. Lend him my spare airrifle and take him out shooting, far more fun and show him to just take the old so the warren flourishes, there is nothing wrong with keeping the warren healthy but I can not approve of killing next years rabbits. Here lies the saddness, those who are interested in wildlife need to be kean, thoughtful and stalthy. The majority see none of this yet often express strong views. I'll try get the lad to come out at dawn on sunday for a few hours shooting. The woodpigeons are well overpopulated. Teach him to be like the sparrowhawk. The river is now full of fish and I spent an hour watching them rise this evening. There are plenty of crayfish for the taking round here. It is good to feed on wild meat but there are rules. We all draw our own. Mine are about sustaining our field fare and eating meat without factory farming.
I will keep updates of the sparowhawk chicks though I won't tell anyone where they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment