Wednesday 27 October 2010

The Emperer RIP

Here at Skreeworld we are confused as to how to feel regarding the killing of Britains largest known wild animal. Locally, now nationally known as The Emperor, the red deer stag who, with antlers, stood 9 feet tall has been bagged by a trophy hunter. Apparently the beast strayed from the woodland he normally occupied, Worthy Folly where he, and his hinds were protected. The owner of the adjacent land phoned up a trophy hunter who shot him. Local huntsmen had preserved him as a local legend, the anger thier appears to be, largely over an outsider taking him out. A lot of bullshit regarding his genetic coding not being allowed to be passed on as he has been shot prior to the rut. This seems a little daft as it wasn't his sole season and his size seems largely due to luck and the fortune of having proteted status. Still, though these arguments are poor ones it still strikes us a little unsporting to take out a local treasure, legend even. One can imagine great folk songs of how the mighty Emperor was killed by a towny for trophy reasons, his ghost still haunts the moor. Or a hollywood style film, crying child runs in tofarmhouse, 'Daddy, Daddy, they've kiled the Emperor!', 'Where is my gun, I shall track his killer down if its' the last thing I do.'
I shoot, I am no soft heart anthropomorphosist, yet I personally would never have taken down a majestic creature of this magnitude. It calls to mind the film 'The Murder of Jesse James by the coward Roert Ford.'
There are some shots I would never take and this is one. I kill for meat. A pheasent fills my belly as I type. I shoot rats that raid Mags chickens feed for sport. I enjoy hunting. A feeling, an emotion my life wold have been a poorer place for. I respect vegetarians. The ones I have little time for are omnivores who can't face up to what they do.
I digress. The world is a lesser place for the Emperors' loss. I hope whoever shot him enjoyed a buzz that equates to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment