Thursday 18 November 2010

Royal Crescent

In response, you know who, I don't see it in that way at all, no betrayall of class roots. In leeds we lived in majesty, Spencer Place, Shepherds Lane even over in Hyde Park we lived in glorious victorian houses even when they were ripped in to bedsits. The staircase banister rooled down serpen like, the cornice dado rails, lighting rosettes, high ceilings, we were poor but lived in decadent majesty. As such Baths' Royal Crescent feels natural. A faded beauty, drunk teens, syringes, glue bags and beggars stagger past artists, actors, musicians. I miss Leeds but still like Bath. Stone masonry, Frome looks about to fall to Tesco. We are steady. I'm not that bothered really, never felt like anything but a tourist drifting through these places. My Dads working class aspirant, my Mother was mid class, I don't know what I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment