Monday 9 April 2012

Art

Before I left school, my art teacher who saw me as having great potential took me to Jacob Kramer art college. I had enjoyed art at school. It had been my salvation. After getting banned from nearly all other lessons I found peace in the art block.
What I did there was drawing and painting mainly. At the college I couldn't fully see it. I turned my back on it. I was asked to say I could see what I could not. It reminded me of the church. Everyone else appeared to be able to see it but I could not. 
To be religious or to commit myself to art full time I would be lieing to myself in some way. My whole life I have skipped round the deges of art, always hoping it would become clear. It never has. Whether I ought to make an art I can believe in or to stick to writing, I am not sure.
Design bores me these days. It sits in the background to where the real action takes place. Over interest in it seems a bit autistic. A bit like saying lets study he wallpaper before we interact. I have to get back in to the moment.
I'm a right brainer. I make the jumps, excell at domain shifts, am good with metaphor. Yet somehow art rarely seems to be objectively good. No unarguable quality. Maybe nothing is like that.
Back to Philips belief in a fixed reality. This informed his belief in good design. That some things were designed beyond taste. Nothing exists in that way. Everything is subjective.


No comments:

Post a Comment