Sunday 21 October 2012

Homeless

I mentioned seeing a homeless guy in an earlier posting. He wanders round the town with his bags and bedroll, perching here and there, reading his book, listening to his radio. It is coming in to winter now and I keep trying to talk to him. Surely the jump to getting a place to stay can not be that great. I understand that here in Somerset, through novas or other methods it is possible, if you are homeless to be put up in a b and b. why he chooses not to do this I don't yet know. Seeing him again asleep, or at least cocooned in his bedding beneath t he canopy of a shop last week, I decided not to intrude. But that is the last time. I can't have it, someone in my immediate area sleeping out. Not on my watch, as they say. Last night I saw him again, walking up toward the YMCA. Why he doesn't stay there? His cough could be heard a way off and my reaction, shamed I am to report was to avoid his ill health. Just after he passed and before i could catch hom i saw someone else, lieing on a stone bench in the graveyard, cider bottle by their side. Deciding this may be a resting drunk i passed on. I have a spare roof, I have two places to sleep. I have enough money to pay a deposit. I know the conventional wisdom is to avoid facing the problem by giving to charity. Homeless charities take the supercilious view that the homeless know not what they want. They say give your money to us, the poor just spend it on drugs. Yet I am quite sure this fella doesnt drink or take drugs. Not that I take any moral high ground. I could quite understand t hat heroin or special brew may be just the insulation one feels most drawn to when sleeping rough. I am fortunate to never have spent more than a night or two outside involuntarily. This was, however suffice to learn how I felt about it. Life doesn't last long if you are outdoors. Perhaps I'll just get ripped off. Or told to mind my own. But I would rather that than have the other on my hands. My conscience keeps returning to this and I know I will find no real rest till I have done something. So I am looking for him today. And tomorrow, till I find him and sort this out one way or another. Who knows, he may be a budding middle class novelist,researching his work, easily able to phone a friend. Or so unbalanced no one can tolerate him. I'll find out I guess. People have helped me so I return the favour to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment