Sunday 4 November 2012

Ash, Wenge and Glass

This week I have been mostly working on the beds in Yew and Ash. After last weeks piece on yew I thought about writing about ash but there is so much in the papers about ash dieback I think I'll leave it for a while.

I did, however, finally get some wood for my chair. Looking through several timber stores, mostly for a slab of burr elm, I ultimately settled on this piece of wenge. Pronounced wen gay, I am reliably informed, Millettia Laurentii grows in the Republic of Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Cameroon, Gabon and Equatorial Guinea. It is on the IUCN Red List category EN Alcd, principally due to destruction of its habitat  and over exploitation of its timber. Normally I don't use such stuff. Not that  making one small piece makes a blind bit of difference with companies all across western Europe and America specifying it for joinery and flooring, fine furniture, it could well be argued returns respect to such a valueable resource. As such my duty, having salvaged this piece, is to do justice to it. I wont go in to my timber use politics only to say I work in native hardwoods for all commercial projects. This is the first time I have bought any african timber to use in furniture.

The timber is worshipped by east bay congo Mudifidious tribe. A sharpened piece is used to cut the umbillical cord of thier babies. It is also used in self mutilation rituals and of course to kill invading rivals.

Its dust can cause dermetitis, similar to poison ivy. It irritates the eyes, cause respiratory problems and even drowsiness so I will be wearing a mask. The splinters are frequent and become quickly septic.



The joints used underneath this table top are similar to how I aim to join the chair seat to the glass. Wenge and Lead Crystal; poisonous furniture.


No comments:

Post a Comment