Sunday 17 January 2010

Boxing - Yorkshire Dales

In reply to a private e mail relating to my blog. I returned to Leeds after living for a time in the Yorkshire Dales. I had damaged my knuckles in boxing on my left hand. At the time I was just discovering woodwork, my painting and sculpture had become irrelevant in this cultural backwater, boxing inspired me to pactice toward excellence. I wasn't great, I won 9 lost 2. My left hand damaged, I thought I'd best leave this be if I wanted to make great things.
I returned to Leeds where I began training to be a joiner. Once qualified I went to work. It was dull. I went off travelling to Kent, Norway, Portugal. It became apparent that little could be achieved within the traveller scene though I have continued to maintain connections and friends in that world. In Ireland I met a guy who told me about Shrewsbury college where art and joinery met. I went there.
Still enjoy a good fight though

No comments:

Post a Comment