Tuesday 12 January 2010

A lightness of touch

I had felt, until this last year that an object was the milestone of total necessity I must leave to mark the thought journey. It struck me now that the construction of the Water Tower in Moortown was a complete irrelevance. The journey up and the reenactment of the journeys of my teens was as far as it need go. Rather like Richard Longs walks or Jeremy Dellers reenactments of the Battle of Orgreave the art lay in the activity. This also has the benefit of depriving any leach gallery or artworld commerce disturbing the purity. Having a product, in the current climate, both political and environmental seems an increasing irrelevance. To have breathed the air atop the mighty structure once more was enough, to see the world from a standpoint from a different time in my life was the conclusion off a timecycle. There is the you tube clip, the photographs should I forget. Who knows, if I have the fortune to live another 30 years I may go up again. There is something fundamental about time that few get, I seldom get it. Through the reenactment of traumatic adventures from earlier 'you's' it is possible to open a window, you can time travel, perhaps not forward though.

No comments:

Post a Comment