Saturday 2 January 2010

Dad and the Crow

After leaving home and school on the same day as an easter leaver taking no qualifications, I didn't see my Dad for 5 years. I came back to the semi derelict family home where my Dad still lived with some home brewed beer to have a drink with him. I knocked but no reply. Having nothing better to do I sat on the doorstep, it was warm with sun flooding a place I had grown up. The upstairs windows had panels smashed and the glass fragments lay chaotically in front of me. Two long spiked shards suggested the beak of a crow. I spent the next 4 hours arranging the shards and fragments into the shape of a crow, a complex mosaic about 3 feet by 3 in size. The headstate of timelessness I fell into made the hours minutes and the random shapes an obvious jigsaw. I decided to knock again, in case he had been pretending to be out or was sleeping. He opened the door, let me in. We drank the beer and have got on well since.

No comments:

Post a Comment