Thursday 21 June 2012

College course leaders

I studied at both Shrewsbury and high Wycombe. Both course leaders were good men but blinded by their own life experience. The first suggested as a serious idea that to launch our businesses we could, for the first year or two, do work for family and friends. Coming from where I had I couldn't.t do a weeks work for family and friends making furniture. The value of furniture in my dads entire block of flats would not be much and none would be bespoke. I never seen a bespoke piece of furniture socially. My second course leader suggested that we may not all become successful designers but he could imagine us returning to our communities as village craftsmen. Now this reveals a beautiful rural, Oxfordshire, home counties idyll, nothing like the truth. Few working class people try to study furniture. Even fewer try to make a living from it. Mind you, if you are from a wealthier ho,e background you need not be much good, the connections through family will get you started. The game is rigged.

No comments:

Post a Comment