Thursday 21 June 2012

Looking at designer makers from the outside

I don,t suppose anyone thinks of themselves as a designer maker though no doubt some would see my work within that grouping I have always felt that I am some part artist some part joiner. Looking again at the work of others in that set today was odd. Having stepped away from it all for a while it now seems restrained, conservative and very uptight. A very middle class phenomena. Within the conformity and restraint the public schoolboys take off ties, loosen the collar and dance in clumsy, uncomfortable manner. I am from a different social background. My accent is different to theirs. How did I find myself amongst them? My aim is to continue away from their pack. To carry on making in a modest manner. The idea of doing furniture for me was to do something below eye focus. The idea of exhibiting furniture undermines this. It is trade in my hands and as such must stay modest. Apart from when I do art. Never confuse the two. To do so is to compromise.

No comments:

Post a Comment