Sunday 6 July 2014

N.D.E. Part 11 The Workhaus

The company that gave me work in order that I could stay in leeds to help with his recovery was called Workhaus and believe they still are something like Workhaus projects. They were a great bunch of lads on the whole with a few knobheads. During my ten months in leeds I worked building An  interior children's play area for the Deep, a vast aquarium with sharks, manta rays and shoals of pyrana like fish swimming around this vast central tank. Once the punters had gone home it was wonderfully peaceful to walk through their glass arch and travel through the vast aquarium in the glass lift watching all these vast sea creatures up close. The lighting was turned down by this time to a gentle blue. Quite transcendent at times. I was up there on my own for a while and would walk in to hull for a pint and something to eat. As was the case with so many of these jobs you found yourself in holiday inns or similar, full of tradesmen away from home working on various building projects.
We did some stuff round the crucible I'm Sheffield. A museum in Norwich. Part of Birmingham museum. And various items of furniture I never saw where they ended up.
After returning to frome and refocusing on the furniture, whenever work was thin I'd get a call and find myself in Spaulding, some steam train museum, or natural history centre or some other town. The two big ones I remember doing last was bovington tank museum which I went to have a look at last summer. Newcastle centre for life. Plymouth museum where our glass display cases sit alongside Alan peters benches,
I enjoyed the life. A bunch of rough lads out in a new town or city doing high quality museum fitting. Drinking far too much beer on a night. Seeing things that otherwise you never would.
My last call up was to work on the Cutty Sark though whether politics of the changing Workhaus or other reason I never went.
My freind Andy has just returned as cNc programmer. Its quite a big set up now with a few CNC machines and fewer bench lads. I've got a feeling I'll do some work fr them again sometime. There workshop is near Towton, the scene of the war of the roses battle where more men died on English soil at any one single time. It is said the beck ran red with the blood of the men.

No comments:

Post a Comment