Wednesday 2 July 2014

Near Death Experience part 5

I returned to Rode where my caravan was. Quite a homely setup. Water on tap, mains electricity, a shower and a wood burner. Pretty much a home made house extension built on the side. I seldom went in to the caravan itself, this became texs' bedroom. My workshop on the farm was gone. I had laid my cards on the table in a really open conversation with the neighbouring workshop, liquid glass. The couple who now ran it, Tom and Kim, had bought out the two other girls who had built the business, making them sign documents disallowing them from teaching glass making within a 50 mile radius. Their attitude to business was nothing like the friendly way the rest of us operated. They had a quote for installing three phase electric of £24000. I had had mine installed a few years before by freinds who charged me a lot less but still, the value of the materials alone was well over £2000. I asked phil Bryant the farmer if Magnus, who I shared the workshop with, could take over the rent for six months while I looked after my father. He said no. It turned out he had made an arrangement behind my back with Tom and Kim who took over my workshop, knocked through opening it in to one workshop saving themselves a cool £24000. Karma got them in the end. They fell behind, taking money for teaching courses that never materialised. He had an affair, they split up, she nearly killed their kids in trying to drive her car in to toms new love nest. The administrators came in and KT and Helga, the two girls who originally set up liquid glasss bought it back. Now their fine glass school is called the glass hub and they are doing ok. A lesson about greed is in there somewhere. Magnus had returned to his old workshop in Rode so I began sharing space with him again. Looking around I had one table that ought to have been around £3000 but I did it for £1000 to survive. No more work on the books. Then an email from my oldest and best client came through wanting two four poster beds, five chests of drawers, two single beds, several bedside units and much more. Basically two years work. Fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment