Friday 5 February 2010

Drainspotting

Regular skreeworld followers will be aware of the ongoing manhole covers project. British manhole covers are a marvelous marriage of graphic design and unnoticed urban beauty. My first works involved a huge photographic research project. Next stage I went out painting manhole covers gold in the early hours. This was a start to see the idea that now is reaching exhibition completion. My first is a split rectangle Stanton cover, onehalf gold with gold leaf embossment, the other side retains rust with just the embossment gold leaved, you can see it in the corner , half complete in the corner of various stacked up work.

Remo Camerota has been round Japan compiling his book of man hole covers. They produce bespoke covers that reference thier history. I am glad there other drainspotters out there however I prefer our industrial, un painted covers.

1 comment:

  1. nice one - thanks for sharing my work. I checked your manhole covers out - they are great too - but the UK industrial design are not really that great. You should come down to japan.

    ReplyDelete