Monday 22 February 2010

The Face of the Attacker

I must have been 22 or 23 when circumstance found me living in a shared house in Harehills with Pig, Richard [now dead] and Martin [now dead]. I was reminded of this story recently when I saw a fake Rolex watch on a girls wrist at Pauls.
Staggering home drunk, I ran my fingers through a private hedge for pure sensual, tactile pleasure. My hand hit metal and a watch fell in to my hand. I took it home and though the face was shattered the second hand still moved. It was a Rolex with silver coloured wrist strap. I fell unconscious and slept a drunken night off.
The following days Evening Post, Leeds paper ran the story. A doctor had been mugged in Harehills where we lived, a rough area close to St Jamess' hospital. Little detail was given of the attack. They printed a picture titled 'The Face of the Attacker', a pencil drawing of a young man, no2 haircut, cliperred beard, it looked identical to me.
The story ran for a few days and each clipping was posted on our living room wall by housemates taking the piss. We were all on the dole at the time. Given my similarity to the picture, there was no way I could hand the watch in and due to my poverty, I took the watch to a pawn shop come goldsmiths in town that asked few questions. I got £300. I have since learned I was robbed, the watch was worth £2000. But what could I do? The police would never have believed me . All they want is to tick off a crime to keep their figures good.
All sort of weird thoughts spread through my head. Maybe I had done it. Perhaps I had blacked out, lost control, unconsciously mugged this man of medicine?
The truth has never been found, no culprit apprehended. Maybe it was me. I was out drunk in the area where the crime took place, the police picture was near on photographic accurate. What are the chances of finding a Rolex in a hedge in Harehills?

No comments:

Post a Comment