Monday 13 December 2010

Skree Kent '87

At about 22 years old I was living in an escourt mark 2 van in Kent. I'd been there a while and knew all the convoy crew and many sites, farms and places to work. I passed a guy who looked a long way from home.I'd been like that, strange land, no money, strange rules. Charity got the best of me and I took him to my site. He stayed in my caravan and I said I'd gt him some work in the morning. Friends came over, we had a fire, cooked stew, smoked hash. Abdul Hadj Mohammed fitted in.The sole issue that came up was freedom of female dress. He was from Algeria and defended their culture, I took no strong view though quietly felt his idea that Arab male passion woud cause problems seemed o me as it would to us and they were at fault in not showing restraint.. EventuallyI had to leave as I had an affair with a friends girlfriend. We promised we would keep a roof and food for the other wherever we may fgind oursewlves.
Today, 24 years later I read a little comment from Mona Hattoum. I came across her work when White Cube gallery took her on, she had that vast cube of magnetic steel covered in iron filings, her peaceful turntable of sand and three strokemetal too.Both great works. I became a passive fan, always checking ouyt her work when I could. She seldom gives interviews. Today she spoke justas Abdul had.

No comments:

Post a Comment