Monday 8 September 2014

All Emotional

We knew it was coming from the start. The land our workshop stands on is valuable building land and the landlord said from the start he would be selling it in a couple of years and our humble rent can't compare so we've got a years warning to find somewhere new. After my breakdown two or three years ago I sold my kit to the guy I share with so really I just own my hand tools.
He's struggling for work. Has a family to provide for. He'd been doing a teaching course but has had to pack it in because teachers don't get paid enough for how he lives.
It struck me when i was 21 that you spend way more time with your work colleagues than you do with your wife and kids. You're on work for eight or nine, with your workmates till 5 or 6, then a quick couple of hours with your family before bed. In many ways you're closer, well, you know each other better.
What I will do I don't know. If this years debt pay offs done perhaps ill do that PHD I've always wanted to do. Or go share space with Fred again. Though I guess he wants passionate youth rather than half mad old woodsy. I spoke to him today, we made an elliptical table together some 15 years back. We made two. One is now in the House of Lords or Houses of Parliament, I forget which. It was a good one and I'd like to bet reference of the elliptical top because a beautiful ellipse and an ok one are far apart. He was breaking down from a festival in north wales but by chance is off to London to the House of Lords tomorrow so hes so he's taking a tape to get me the sizes. We're off to gareth Neals fourtyth birthday party together. 40 eh? Can you believe it? When I met him I was 27 and a full decade older than his 17. Now he's a proper man. It was sad when I left Fred's for to set up my own place nearer frome. Shortly after gareth went to London. Those Pewsey days were fun.
Now this current workshop in frome is running its last year I feel sad.
After leaving Fred's I was going to share with Clive dinmore, may raving partner. But it turned out I shared with Magnus for the next 15 years and a better man you couldn't meet. Sadly it looks like we'll be going off our seperate ways. I've had two periods of serious mental health problems these last two years. I am unreliable. With our current cheap workshop he can sustain a period of my madnlastbut a bigger, better, more expensive unit, well I'd really drop him in it if I had another bad spell. He's had two workshop share offers. These have been a great 15 years and I'll miss him. My best freind, I suppose. But I understand. Just makes me really sad.
Maybe its time to put down the tools. You get slower and weaker as you age and focus on the writing and photography. Surprised he put up with me so long really. Sad day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment