Monday 20 April 2015

Travelling Light

Too ill to drive yesterday so slept a last night in frome. Best sleep in some time. I woke a bit late, you have to be out by 5.30 to see everything or find a dropped tenner. Street sweepers move in. Headed in to town first at about 6am to collect dog ends. Roll ups go quickly as at least two other homeless harvest the floors outside pubs but got a good half oz of ogdens tramp flake.
We then set off for Vallis though my back is hurting from bending down. Despite these hot days a frost crispened the fields where rabbits played and five or so green woodpeckers were out early worming. Two grey herons swept reptilian overhead. The peregrines who nested in the quarry have been fenced off by dumbass council workers who waited till the birds were pairing up rather than do it in the winter, driving them off to a new location I won't grass up. I made the mistake of showing a freind a sparrow hawks nest a few years back who told his kids who told their mates who drove them further up river next year. You had been able to break up on to the railway bridge and watch it all but the following year my mouth had moved them on.
Plenty of pigeons for the peregrines. Grey wagtails and dippers played on the river with the odd flash of green as kingfishers slashed by silently bar their odd scream. Too late for the tawnys, too late for the buzzards waking from private roosts. I'd been beaten to the first by a jogger who blindly sees nothing but clears most wildlife. Dippers and crayfish excepted.
Emotionally difficult leaving town but a reminder from some incomer local who I bid a clear "good morning" to who gave no response. Perhaps he saw my to baccy recycling and a streak of rebellion caused me to reply to his silence, "kind of ignorant folk round here, eh? Fella?". His mute response settled my resolve.
Thirty quid may just get me to Leeds but there's always diesel somewhere for the creative mind. Worse is the thought I have to shoplift a sack of dog food or face shame and a hungry dog, a talking to by the police, then on to another supermarket to shoplift a sack of dogfood.

No comments:

Post a Comment