Monday 13 June 2011

Furniture with Soul

I have not read or seen David Savages book that covers 10 makers. Any addition to the small number of books on fine furniture is welcome. There does appear to be a desperate feel to engage on such a project, to write a book in order to align oneself with a certain eschelon. Critics, writers and journalists should be putting forward works of this nature. I met and worked with one student of his . He was poorly trained and had little understanding but to judge from just one seems daft. I stole his block plane.
Before I engage in any critisism of the book I need to study the work which I will. No disrespect to Savage but if his work were of significance wouldn't others be writing books about him? I grow weary of the distorted form, I question whether a basic understanding of proportion shouldn't be an educational necessity before a maker chooses to play with a time honoured evolution? There are reasons why wheels are round.
I am looking forward to being proved wrong and blown away.

No comments:

Post a Comment