Wednesday 8 June 2011

Snakes and Ladders

Work, the thing folk do to get paid in order to do something they want to do, is a strange old buisness. I was chatting to the glass blower who works in the next studio to me and she reminded me how lucky we are to be able to create stuff in a beautiful environment. Some times I have to make a functional piece of furniture, even a kitchen to keep the whole thing going, to be able to play, to allow myself the freedom to make things. I forget at times, how fortunate I am. Some Angel has their eye on me and protects me. The thought of work, in the sense of my first sentence at times blurs with 'my work', a term artists, designers etc. adopted though 'play' may be a more accurate term. Not that the activity lacks labour or stress, strain and all the pains of conventional work. Often many hours more are put in by the artist, craftsman, designer, [I still don't know what term to use for what I am] than are put in by the 9 to 5er whose sole goal is the financial rewards to pursew their true love. There is a lot to be said for hobbies. It isn't an easy path though. Each day carries the burdon of self analysis, the fear that it all may be a load of crap. Not everything I make is for my self expression, far from it, others want special dreams creating for them. I had a visit from an older maker. He makes about one piece a year, his financial fortunes allow him this luxury. His sole goal is innovation. He seemed to critisize the fact that at our studio we collaborate with interior designers, architects to afford our freedom. When I think of the number of pieces I have to make to survive it shakes me, two vanity units in yew, half a bed, ongoing, a kitchen, oak wash room, various pieces of other works, others I can't even recall since christmas yet a man whose output is a fraction of ours comes to say ignorant and hurtful things. I'm over it now. I start a series of four beds tommorrow in yew and ash. The writing will continue, the photography and the art. I admire any artist who can support themself solely through their 'free' work but don't bully those who break their backs to afford time to make their art and rich failed artists aren't worth consideration. Not because they are rich but because they are basically engaged in a hobby, not a profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment