Monday 27 June 2011

Jason Feddy at Hebden Bridge

Maybe it is because sound comes first, our perception of sound has greater distance, maybe that is why music makes you cry more than art. Not that it matters but I am a designer; a visual artist at best.
I've been there before, Hebden Bridge Trades Club. I sat alone and listened to Jason and Patsy Matheson. They took me on a journey. Her songs were delicate observations, Feddys' too. Some I had heard before yet never had explained and despite what many would have you believe, little is understood through common sense alone. Felt maybe, not understood though. Even durinfg emotional pieces my history took over. We were a bunch of broken buiscits. I hear Jasons songs and theyt are the voice of someone who bridged a transition in my life from the shattered middle school mess to high school. We met on estates, edgelands, wooded areas between the two. He knows me, knows why I am what I am and I too know some of his fragile corners. He has achieved a wonderful thing. He picked up a guitar as puberty broke and never put it down. There are chunks of genius, aptitude and a fuck of a lot of hard work. His recent Shakespeares Fool project is the stuff of once in a lifetime stumbling upon. Great ideas dont just come to you on the bus they are the product of years of thought, they may hit you on the bus but only because of the last ten, twenty years musing. He entranced a diverse body of people with a magic I will never know and I don't think he was even in the mood. Jason is a rare talent and he wont always unleash it,  dont blame him. There were a good five people I can thnk of who should have been there. They took their choice and they missed something special.
As I drove through the night, getting as far away from where we met as I could, I think I saw a new fire in his belly that night.

1 comment:

  1. Would've loved to be there. Could not, this time X

    ReplyDelete