Saturday 4 February 2012

To Go it Alone

When choosing joinery it came not from any real interest in the trade. There may have been a touch of rebellion against the hippy ideologies of not working and being deliberately, belligerently straight and unartistic but otherwise nothing. It was an attempt to shake off my past. I could think of nothing so dull. Surely no one would want to follow me in. Before I had barely begun they were in. I only wanted something that was uniquely mine. Something that seperated me from the world so as I could test what was real and what was the creations of my mind.
Now, in this space, a space I have made for the purpose, I am looking for what it is I really should be doing.
There is a tendency, particularly amongst the protestant work ethic, those who find errotic pleasure in hard labour, to choose a vocation totally unsuited. This comes from the belief that anything worth doing must be hard. This myth blights the lives of many. If you are naturally talented at something you don't need some zen monk discipline. The countless painful hours of repetition are for the ungifted. 10,000 hours will get anyone there.
The hardest thing to see is what you are good at because it requires no effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment