Saturday 3 July 2010

Flashback

I had a bit of a flashback today. I remembered my paper round. If you didnt get 'pocket money' you went out. I had a morning and evening paper round at age 10, even did sundays. heavy day that. I recall Elvis deah, Sid Vicious and blackened hands from newsprint. School became a time to sleep and draw. At 12 I got a milk round, my pay doubled. Saturday morning I ad £8, fags, 2000ad an sometimes dope. On leaving home giros seemed massive. 16 found me stayin up all night to raid allotments, steal milk, jeans from washing lines. I wish I had saved a few of those papers. Christmas, you slipped an envelope in to the papers saying 'merr chrismas from your paperboy,' use to get nearly £30 sometimes. I nipped off tight fresh rosebuds that drw like chalk on brick and leave messages for the suburban olk, all colours, usuall names of bads but sometimes, if they were lucky i would linger having gathered an array of colours and leave vibrant tattoos on there walls. Till one day, some old gimmer leaned out of his window and caught me. I think that was when I got paper round sack and went on the milk. Casper in Kes was something like it thogh my round was in a more wealth, mainly jewish area of Leeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment