Thursday 26 July 2012

The Week That Was part 2




..but it got me so tangled up in memories. What was it I had set out to do?  Back when we were all in Pewsey it was a creative time but one where questions went unasked. There really isn't enough space to make a living from selling one off  furniture pieces through exhibition. All but a few names at the top struggle to sustain a living from it alone. I have always felt it a little arrogant to expect to. It was always art that had been my central interest, right from school. Disillusionment steered me from art in to joinery. Having a trade to support myself was security but an aim in itself. I still love quality joinery and unpretentious furniture. I can't stomach the masterbatory fine wood craft though that treads some muddy line of confusion. 
Without intending art crept back in. Being around furniture makers and using their technical vocabulary along with the same exhibition opportunities put my work, too often in to the wrong places. Looking back I now understand why things were misread. I could not understand how a table inlaid with disabled and no parking signs could be misinterpreted as decoration. At the same show I exhibited a table with glass spikes bursting out oF its back so function was not just impractical but impossible. Yet still misreading happens. An email I recieved last week confused something I had said in a magazine article. Whilst there is some truth in the idea that any practice taken beyond its limits in to the new is art, in the sense Ronnie O'Sullivan makes snooker art. In this way John Makepeaces work may be considered art by some. But this is a different category of practice to the one I mean which is essentially making visual images for people to see in an attempt to express aspects of what it is like to be human. It is not that work transcends its parameters to become art, indeed it may even be poor art. It is that the two are seperate practices.
It has to be clear which is which from now on. I assumed people would know but perhaps I didn't make myself clear. Context is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment