Thursday 26 July 2012

The Week That Was

I spoke to R who is thinking of making some new furniture. I'd quite forgotten that feeling of making furniture, not to commission but as a creative venture. But what to do it for and with it if it doesn't sell? why are you doing it? is it as a business venture or as a stab at making some sort of mark on culture, or just to impress ones peers. The London avenues, as I think of them such as commercial design shows, where one is lost in trade seas. The Crafts Councils attempt to mirror the American SOFA. Chelsea crafts show. None of these bring fond thoughts to mind for me. Why should this be? Each time I got chances to show I made art. Often I showed it at the wrong places. The sad attempts at useless craft, art with no meaning that is often at Collect depresses me as much as its polar craft opposite promoted at Millinary Works and Cheltenham. I wish R all success as her work stands well in Colledct and such places. 
The chat did get me going, though, and triggered a week of seeing myself through others eyes. I am planning work and have many ideas. From now on the line is clear. I make furniture to make a living. Hence it should be made well and to please. This frees up my art and hopefully there will be no more confusion. I am a furniture maker by trade and use these techniques, along with others, to make art.



No comments:

Post a Comment