Saturday 3 October 2009

Before, during and after ,part 6

From then on things went down hill. My dad couldn't cope with a family on his own. Our clothes were dirtier than all the other kids. One teacher, mrs Wright, used to make me sit on the floor for being unclean, showing the class the dirt under my fingernails. After her lessons I would invariably beat up some kid. It wasn't until I was 13 that the total freedom we now had became in any way good, I could grow long hair, make my scruffiness cool. Got the prettiest girls in the school. I had generally been top of the class or close in most subjects but I gave up all effort, did no work, truanted for whole months at a time and school became meerly a battle with authority.
I got banned for disrupting lessons from physics, biology, german, maths and spent virtually all my time in the artroom painting. Mrs Steel gave me my own area where I quietly got along. For every mrs Wright there is a mrs Steel. She had 2 wild boys of her own. It was around this time I got to know Paul Fryer, Dean and Patrick, older lads than me, discovering psychedelic drugs. I took no exams, left at easter with no qualifications. Mrs Steel had arranged it for me to come back in to do my art exams, I set off but sat in the woods, I still feel guilty for letting her down. I left home the same day I left school aged 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment