Monday 26 October 2009

Great day for my mates

I'd had a chat with Paul on saturday about 'The Age of the Marvelous' so was surprised when he texted me to chech out page 3 of the Sunday Times. I'd already, inadvertantly got up an hour early and bought the Observer. Any road, I bought a copy and was thrilled to see he has been shortlisted for a major piece to rival the Eifal Tower to celebrate the 2012 olympics along with Anthony Gormley and Anish Kapour. It would be great if he gets the commission, there are plenty of Gormleys strewn across the British Isles and more Kapour would be a bore so let the new blood flow and fresh breath take us forward. The piece is reminiscent of a huge pylon, at least 4 times the angel of the north with its framework framing stained glass, walkways so the public could go up and look down, lit up at night it would be a beacon of positive energy.
Having blown out my trip to London on saturday after friday nights antics I felt compelled to go see Jason Feddy on the last night of his british tour. After a long drive through those streets paved with broken dreams and glass I found the place and joined Jason and his friends, many he hadnt seen in 20 years as he now lives out in California, for a meal. I was late, they were already eating but all welcomed me.
He played a blinder in a perfect, intimate setting. I got some great footage to put out on this blog though my memory card is getting forgetful and my battery losing it's spark' I met a girl I hadnt seen since my early teens, she was in my german class and am apalled with myself for not recognising her immediately. She has weathered well. It was only towards the end of our conversation that I fully remembered her. She was vibrant and probably the brightest in the class who could play comedic yet still get the work done. I could only manage the first of these skills.
Fucking great to see Jason play again. There seems a universal consensus amongst those who know his work that his slip through the fickle net of stardom is a crime of history so anyone out there reading this get on i player and discover his work. Richard Hawley is only just getting his dues so there is time yet. There is time for us all still. Paul has only recently accended to the peak of his field and this gives me hope that we shall yet claim our righful place in cultural history.

No comments:

Post a Comment