Wednesday 14 October 2009

C'N'C Stop Mithering

The experimental is now conventional, the conventional is now experimental

I quote Mark E Smith in regards to Mark Fasts fashion show using normal shaped women for models and being treated as sensationalist

Today I showed a freind some photos of Damien Hirsts paintings currently being shown at the Wallace Collection in London. to me these paintings look weak and derivative referring to Bacon and a huge drop from 'For the Love of God', diamond skull piece.

My friend said it was a gimmick. An artist doing his own paintings is a gimmick. I knew what he meant, so does Damien

'Some one said to me recently, after seeing me in the studio covered in paint, 'Are you really making these yourself?' It's funny that that is shocking as well. For me to do paintings is more shocking than formaldehyde'

The conventional is now experimental, the experimental is now conventional and in no way noble

I wanted to like them, at college I wrote my disitation on Damien Hirst, he grew up near me, he is the same age as me, I went to Allerton High School, He went to Allerton Grange, I'm a fan. Like when Leeds United win, it's my community succeeding, Marco White too. Damien is one of ours. He had a crap phase just after his second Turner Prize shortlisting where he won. I want him to be good.
however, these paintings are very, very poor.
No doubt he'll be back with something mindblowing but this show looks like a heap of shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment