Monday 30 November 2009

Lines of Communication 5

The Lines of Communication series have roots in my childhood. I recall looking up, specifically at telegraph poles with foot pegs starting some 10 feet from the ground, I was fascinated how men would climb up there for the purpose of communication. There seemed to be this whole world, visible to me yet largely unnoticed by anyone I knew. The aerial canvass seemed divided in to, squares, oblongs, parralelograms of divided space. I have always been fascinated by the mundane urban topography. Men climbed up posts for reasons I couldnt grasp, others had tools to get themselves down manhole covers into a subteranian world I knew we were dependent on. Other men opened green boxes with impossibly complex masses of coloured wires. These worlds were where I wanted to go. Operating without question I would walk by with my mother observing this intense complexity and beauty. Now I look and see the division of space, an order as fascinating as the layout of a mid game snooker table or the organisation of rugby league teams on the green rectangle. An assumed order and set of rules is in play only understood by initiates. The sky is an impossibly unfathomable organic, ever shifting picture. Seen through these lines of communication my mind can break it down in to quantifiable sections. Not only that but the grids formed themselves have a mathmatical beauty, a sense of order for me to frame the ever shifting organic mass of sky. This largely unnoticed network feels nostalgic, like it is waiting for digitisation to reopen the unquantifiable mass of sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment