Wednesday 4 November 2009

Step Back

I feel a need to step back and reappraise what I am doing. This last year I have felt a yearning to escape the shackles of my furniture making endeavours, a tunnel I entered over20 years ago with a belief that furniture could be the architecture of your home or a blurring of the boundaries of art where the background could be the foreground. The idea of interior design was my main enemy, thematic or schematic rooms for living in, I wanted to get back to how I saw the rooms as a child, more like a playground where you jump from the slide to the roundabout to the swing spinning the chemicals of the brain in to a kaliedoscope of excitement, a rejection of the comfort and order interior designers were aiming for. I believed any object carried a communicative idea, it did for me. What I hadnt gambled on was that rooms, for most were merely a background for thier human interactions or for the rich a self congratulatory reflection of themselves in what they saw as beautiful. The idea of ownership had never crossed my mind. Crime seemed as relevant as earned property. You cant take it with you was a doctrine my father drilled in to me, we are just passing through and hence the outdoors so vastly out did the indoors that any object of design could only be a toy.
So where do I go from here?
The answer is surely not object related, only the interaction with the object. Who would want to buy the roundabout and take it away from the communal playground to thier home to gather dust. Yet being so far down the avenue of inquiry in to the nature of the object, a total change of direction is hard.
I think I know where my work should steer. I have seen butterflys but never felt the need or even entertained the possibility of owning one. Not since I was a child anyway, our butterfly boards just deteriorated with time like a vase of deaying flowers. Our memories are all we can hold, the rest is like trying to catch the smoke from your cigarrette.

No comments:

Post a Comment