Wednesday 14 April 2010

Andrea Dunbar 3

Residents were wary, it helped that Barnard was local; 'Pamela was particlarly helpful. Until I met her I had no idea just how autobiographical the plays were. She told me that the Asian boyfriend in The Arbor was a real life portrait of the man who fathered Andreas first child, Lorraine.'
Barnard wanted to know what had happened to Lorraine who had left the estate some years ago and was rarely talked about. After further enquiries it became clear why; in 2007, Lorraine was convicted of the manslaughter of her one year old son and sentenced to three years in prison.
'I began writing to Lorraine' says Barnard, ' She was in the drug rehabillitation unit of a prison in Surrey. She agreed to meet me providing she wouldnt have to appear on camera. The story she told was hardly one I was expecting, and it led me to make quite a different film.'

No comments:

Post a Comment