Saturday 1 May 2010

Marc Quinn

Most of my artist friends don't like Marc Quinns' work. I don't know why. He was quite important for me in retaking an interest in insider art, something I had totally lost interest in Art in the London gallery sense until the Young British Artists 2 exhibition at Saatchis old gallery up by the cricket ground. They had those Sarah Lucas Sunday Sport pieces, a sort of steam installation, an ice room, Richard Wilsons' 20 50 oil piece and Quinns latex body skins and, of course, the show stealer 'Self', his first blood head. The ultimate self portrait. He does one every 5 years now. The exhibition got me reinterested in art and I've followed on and off since. He had a good day today. Big piece in the Guardian magazine and a piece in the Telegraph. He doesn't always get it right and he isn't in my top 5 artists but I do like his things.
The day deteriorated when Leeds United lost, Leeds RL looked like they were going to lose so I went out to shoot a rabbit. Failed. Got rained off. However Leeds RL did pull it round and are still in with a chance of a decent play off place.

No comments:

Post a Comment