Monday 17 May 2010

Porlock Hill

Have you driven up or down that hill? The only other road in England I can compare it to is Hard Knot Pass and Wry Nose Pass in Cumbria. The north wins but Porlock Hill isn't for puffs. Ironically, it is the easiest route to the house I am making furniture for. Beautiful day. Swallows nest 5 feet from where you drink your tea. A very special place to be. Lanes a transit barely squeezes through. Malcolm, the building restorer has made a wonderful job. Local native timbers bare the structure, local stone, lime plastering, floorboards from pine a builders suppliers hasn't seen for 50 years. The floorboards are plugged with plugs of identical grain pattern. I can quite see why he doesn't want rash furnishing decisions to spoil the overview. An incredible man and great to work with. I furnished, throughout a house he did, that took 2 and a half years, this one is bigger. I left my drawings for him and the client to view. Jobs like this come rarely. This will be my third house for the same client that I have furnished throughout. I am very lucky.
This is the work that funds other skreeworld activities. I may be cash poor but I am leaving a quiet legacy of cultural providence. Days go by where I feel no claim on history but secretly I know I have made the world a more beautiful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment