Monday 22 March 2010

Distopia

A deep sadness hangs over skreeworld today. Cashflow problems. Too rainy to work on the Towers, too dangerous to climb pylons. Heard a great scheme that I didn't have the bottle to work on. Between each pair of pylons is a huge earth cable. You need two brave men. They climb to the top of the pylons with bolt cutters. In the old days they would nod then cut, in modern times they have the advantage of the mobile phone. The coreography has to be timed to perfection. There is over 28,000 volts to deal with. Timed right, the cable drops, this is a seriously big piece of copper and at current prices has major weigh in value. You can do this miles out, in the moors, far from filth. I am scared of heights and Bath gas silo did my head in. Not only this but I am terrified of electricity, you can't see it and it can kill you. That's enough for me. I'll report how they get on.
Even killing a pigeon didn't raise my mood. He was sat in an Ash tree overlooking the river. I stealthily made my way in range shielded by the corrugated iron fence. Saw my gap, rested the rifle on a young sycamore branch, centred the scope on his armpit and shot. A straight vertical drop often meens you have just broken a wing and I hate struggling through the undergrowth to find the terrified bird to pull its neck, even though this is a quicker end than most animals endure. This bird took the 60 degree flight I have seen a few times now, it usually meens that you have hit the heart lung area and the bird is gone from peace to death in at most 4 seconds, something rare in nature, if I get a choice I would take this option. He sailed in to the river, I dropped the gun and a flurry of feathers  followed by the dead bird came from under the bridge. I ran back to the workshop to get a fishing rod but by the time I got back it had left the eddy and was floating on to private land. Fortubnately, Mag knew them and was able to retrieve the body. I felt guilty all day as the female kept returning to the tree looking for her hopeful mate however, just to give an idea of how over populated they are down here, well, everywhere, there were three suitors seeking her out before thge end of the day. This kind of work is conservation and clean meat. After the rains I saw a few rabbits that also spoil the natural equilibrium. They will be there for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment