Friday 12 March 2010

The Stranglers

I travelled up to Leeds to see The Stranglers. The last time I saw them was 28 years ago. They looked tired, Hugh was gouching and couldnt keep pace on his guitar. I fell from the fold.
Last night I was treated to seeing a band at the height of thier powers. They played a blinder. I saw the Stranglers 3 or 4 times back in the day, Black and White tour, Raven tour and they were excellent. Martin came with me. The Stranglers were the 2nd band I saw. As a teenager, 14, 15, they were my band. I heald them up there with Black Sabbath.
So what a joy to see that in thier 40th year they are as strong as ever.
Seeing JJ Burnel shake hands with Baz, thier new front man you could see they knew they had played a very special gig.
They play Frome in a warm up gig for Glastonbury, from which theyy were banned for years. Why? I dont know. Heroin has always dogged them. Golden Brown, a love song to the drug. Don't bring Harry, a more considered song about the drug. The history of being the hardest band, JJ Burnel still looks fucking hard. I wouldnt fight him. Dave Greenfield always elevated them to a level above thier contemporaries. Jet Black, still drumming in time at over 70 years old.
They.ve never been cool but always been brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment