Tuesday 2 March 2010

Peregrine Falcon

I had heard from the guys who look over the nature reserve that there was a peregrine in the area, I had never seen it so felt dubious as I walk that stretch of river each day. Today was sunny and beautiful. 6 Buzzards gathered overhead, circling as I set the scope on my new air rifle. Once set I walked down the river. The pair of great tits just by the beehives are focusing and should be nest building shortly. Further down the river, I went looking to shoot a woodpigeon. Last year, I watched a group of sparrowhawk fledglings finding thier feet, thier first flights from the nest. A week or so ago I saw a sparrowhawk rocket, full pelt in to the thicket of trees over the area Mag keeps his pigs where the pigeons roost. Down by the railway bridge, through my rifle scope, I watched a peregrine, really high in the sky, scouting about. I have only seen peregrines in the wild three times in my life. The scale of thier territory must be huge. From that height they must see miles. The Peregrine Falcon has long been my favourite bird, the oppitomy of beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment